Hummingbird House, Lakeside, MI - cottage rental scam

Alsip, Illinois 3 comments

The cottage rental is a scam!Warning!

My husband and I rented the cottage for a two night stay in late July. The cottage web site misrepresented the fact that there is air-conditioning (the owner placed a filthy unsafe faulty wired air conditioner in the home on the day of arrival). The microwave and air conditioner was faulty wired together and would kick out if one tried to use either. One had to turn the air conditioner on with the rusty pliers provided!

Also, both smoke detectors had been disabled before our arrival. The bathroom and kitchen areas were filthy. Garbage left in bathroom. Food remnants in kitchen sink.

The high definition flat screen tv is the size of a laptop computer screen tv propped up on a bench. The chimenea (outdoor fireplace) is not on the premises. Nothing as pictured. The outside is filled with insects because the property is not maintained.

The owner states that she accepts kids and dogs. However, she later claimed that our dogs scratched the door (which they did not do because they were crated and with us). She accused us of this and stopped payment on our security deposit over a week after we left ( others had stayed immediately upon our departure!) Please be careful.

This is not a place you want to bring your children or pets!

Comments

This disgruntled owner was upset about not getting her security deposit back due to damage done by her dogs. She has lied in her complaint and has even gone so far as to get a friend to write in as well--a friend posing as a renter.

In addition, to my above review, please note that the owner's rental agreement states the following about leaving dogs unattended/crated in the cottage under the Pets section; "...dogs with separation anxiety tend to scratch the beautiful 1950s knotty pine walls." My question to the owner was, "How do you know that my dogs scratched the door?" I was with them, they were crated!.I am not sure if other parties watched their dogs as closely.

If the owner previously stated this in the agreement prior to our stay, it must have happened to her before. Why blame my dogs for something that I know that they did not do. It could have happened to the other poor folks that she kept their deposits, too. This is a scam.

If you go, take Lysol and be mindful, please folks!I never had this happen before at much nicer rentals; but unfortunately, there are dishonest people who claim to be reputable who will take money from families.

If you stay here you’ll never get your security deposit back!This place is a total dive.

The musty smell is overwhelming and there are bugs all over, inside and out. If you go here to get privacy forget it!

The owner kept calling us on our cell phone and then sent someone over to look into the window one morning!This is the kind of place that makes you appreciate home.